Make and like a post for your chance to win an iPhone 6S 16GB for the Holidays! #TheGreatCanadianiPhoneHolidayGiveaway

Graduating from Engineering and going into Med School

Hi there,

I'm set to graduate in 2016 with a mechanical design degree from Dal. I've been occupied with med for over a year now after taking some bioethics courses. I've met a lot of undergrads headed into med school too! I I first wanted to do a PhD or Masters, but now I'm not entirely certain. Whatever the case, I've become more and more interested in med school now. My little rant is below and I would appreciate your thoughts.

First of all, I haven't actually completed my second degree. My GPA for my 2nd and 3rd year was 3.5. My third year was a 3.68, which I know isn't the greatest. Now I'm heading into my final year with plans to finish above 3.7. Since this is still not the highest, I'm wondering if I need a second degree.

Living near Dal, this would be the easiest choice. They'll check out 2 of my last 3 years. I'm also hoping to meet people and job prospects throughout school. I think the most clear decision for me is to start a science degree and take classes to prep for the MCAT. I also took intro to psych and sociology on the side. Beside applying to Dal, Ontario has the next best probabilities on getting in.

Here are the second degree plans:

1) Get a high GPA in my first year, spend my first summer considering the MCAT+writing, and apply to Dal expecting my MCAT scores are great! I would apply to Dal with my last two years which are technically from two different degrees.

2) Do everything in the first option but finish the second year of my science degree. Write the MCAT again. Apply to Dal with three years (two in first degree, one in the second).

However, I still could be rejected from Dal on the basis of my extra-currics.

To be honest, I don't have many:

- I was a prefect
- I volunteered for an environment club campus clean-up
- I'll be a tour guide (paid though)
- TAing opportunity hopefully
- Attended publication and conference workshop in Halifax

I know I've got to improve my ECs.

I think by being in NS I have the best probability of being accepted there. But I could move anywhere to get residency (even Nunavut!).

So this is my dilemma. What do I do? Thoughts or suggestions?
Tagged: