Make and like a post for your chance to win an iPhone 6S 16GB for the Holidays! #TheGreatCanadianiPhoneHolidayGiveaway

Taking Courses While Waiting for Rejections and Offers?

Greetings everybody,

I plan on applying to McGill, McMaster, UofC, UBC, UofM, Queens, NOSM, and MUN. I generally don't have 5.0 courses every semester as recommended for full-time students because I was working and had other things to take care of. I also had poor counsellors in school and missed the whole "full course load" piece...

Between the dead period of applying and finding out if I've been accepted/rejected/waitlisted, I am considering taking a few courses to potentially bump up my GPA a bit. I figure it's worthwhile in case I don't get in anywhere and need to re-apply next year.

I've taken quite a few upper-level bio courses as of now and I'm considering taking other science courses that I have prereqs for, or non-science courses...

I'm assuming that science courses that I actually like would look better than bird courses in social sci.

My GPA is meh. Since I can't do a full course load of 5.0 courses, would it be alright to do 4.0 or would that look bad to med schools? I have a car loan to deal with and other financial obligations too!

What are my odds for getting into med school this year?

GPA

. 3.7 cgpa and sgpa

. 3.7 balanced gpa

. 3.3-3.4 cgpa

MCAT

. 512-514

. 30/32 old scoring

Did really well in all areas (all segments 2-4 focuses above 129). Did alright in physical sciences. Best in brain science.

My extra-curriculars are great:

. Varsity games group: Provincials and Nationals contender
. Numerous hours of examination experience (proctor)
. Publication at a college building open house
. Co-edited journal publication
. Over 1,000 community volunteer service hours
. Musically inclined with performances

LORs will be from:

. World-class musician

. Prof for whom I am running instructional exercises

. Addtl prof

Tagged: