Make and like a post for your chance to win an iPhone 6S 16GB for the Holidays! #TheGreatCanadianiPhoneHolidayGiveaway

Live at home or in Residence?

edited December 2015 in Residence Vote Up0Vote Down
Hey People!

I'm in grade 12 right now. I need to figure out if I should go away for university next year (Western - maybe Saugeen? or Guelph probably). Alternatively, I could just stay at home and go to York. I'm not really concerned about paying for res, but I want to know if residence is way better than staying at home.

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I would honestly say choose whichever you want, although I am biased because I elected to stay at home, which is great because I don't have to worry about money for food or anything like that. Plus, I have the support of my family easily accessible, not to mention I don't have to worry about the rowdiness or anything like that which may happen while in a residency.
  • Hello!

Being a previous Saugeen tenant, I will definitely attest to fact that there are some drawbacks living in residence. There are days where you can't get any peace from the rowdiness and the partying resulting with uncleanly floors and lack of privacy. However, those days are only a couple days of the year (usually during orientation week).

Living in residence was the best decision I made. All my close university friends were all my residence floor mates. For many of us, this was the first time living independently from our families. We experienced the wonderful feeling of freedom through our newfound independence along with the increase burden of responsibilities. I was able to meet a lot of different people I wouldn't of otherwise met through living in residence. I was also a great stepping stone to living in complete independence in the following years. You also receive a lot of support form Residence Advisors and Faculty Sophomores which will help guide you through this major transition into university life.

At the end of the day it depends on the experience you want to get out of University. Everyone is different and maybe living in residence may not be for you. However through my experiences, I can undoubtedly recommend living in residence.

Hope this helps!
  • I would definitely choose residence. It was a great experience and you get to meet all different types of people and make new friends. Very enjoyable time. You'll really enjoy the independence and essentially take step forward on growing up and becoming an adult.
    Best of luck!
  • Hey! I go to Guelph and I'm in my last year, I may be biased but I would highly recommend you choosing to be a gryphon and MOST DEFINITELY stay in res! Sometimes it sucks but it's crazy and you'll make friends there that will last a life time!