Make and like a post for your chance to win an iPhone 6S 16GB for the Holidays! #TheGreatCanadianiPhoneHolidayGiveaway

Tips for Finding a Job for After Graduation Before Graduating

This is a topic that has come up a great deal while I have been in college and talking to people I am in classes with as well as my instructors; it is perhaps one of the toughest questions to answer or provide advice for, plus it's hard to find a place to start. What am I talking about? Well finding a job after graduation because to be honest, I do not believe that anyone would not want a job in their field after they have graduated. After asking a lot of questions to a lot of people, I have found out a few different ways to approach this and different pieces of advice to keep in mind.

The most useful piece of advice I have received in regards to finding a job for after graduation in any field is look early. I mean really early. I got this piece of advice from an Associate Chair of the program I am in, he said that the biggest mistake is that most students apply for jobs in their field at the beginning of their last semester in their last year. Now how could this be a mistake?

Well, this is when everyone, and I mean everyone, is applying and looking for jobs, not just people attending the same university or college as you are, but students from other institutions as well in the same area, or perhaps not the same area. Regardless, the point is that everyone will be applying for jobs at the same time, so it will be a challenge for you to get a head start getting the job you want after graduation.

What should you do then? Apply from anywhere between the beginning and middle of your second last semester in order to get ahead of this rush of people applying for jobs in your respective area. Majority of the time, by that point in your education, you should have most of the tools or skills you need for the jobs you will be applying for.

Another tip I got was from an instructor I have and she said that when making a CV, or even a resume, never ever make it extremely lengthy. Although a CV is intended to be longer, she explained that she gets dozens of applications from people, even graduating students, whose CV's are pages long. She even admitted that she rarely looks past the first page of a Resume or CV.

Now, I do understand that not all employers will be like this; however, I can attest to the fact that majority of companies are like this. I have asked many employers, even my manager at my part-time job about this, and she even confessed that she is the same way.

Prospective employers do not want to spend (even waste) their time reading pages upon pages of one person's Resume or CV. They want to be able to screen every applicant as quickly as possible to decrease the candidate pool to the smallest size, filled with the best choices for the job; therefore, if you have a long, novel-like CV or Resume that isn't tailored to the position you are applying for and doesn't have any relevant information that is easily distinguishable to pick out or recognize, then chances of you getting a callback are minimal.

Not only that, but I have also discovered that many employers will discard Resumes or CV's if they notice one of the following: spelling errors or an informal email. The former is rather self-explanatory, the latter isn't quite as straightforward. An informal email means an email that isn't professional-looking, like the one you made when you were 11 or 12 and was something along the lines of cooldude94@hotmail.com. If an employer sees an email like that as your contact, chances are they will be less likely to hire you compared to someone who has an email like jane.doe@gmail.com.

I did get this factoid confirmed by three of my instructors, who have admitted that they have discarded resumes upon seeing an unprofessional or informal email. This won't always be the case, but it is a chance I would not recommend taking, so when it comes to putting your email on a resume, consider having a "business" or professional email that consists of something such as: yourfirstname.yourlastname@gmail.com. No, it does not have to be Gmail. You could use Hotmail or whatever email service provider you desire, just keep the rest the same.

There you have it, a few tips and tricks to help you out when it comes to applying for and getting the job of your dreams for after you have graduated. I know this process can be scary and a bit intimidating, but keep this tips in mind and I am sure that you will be able to capture whatever job you are applying for!
Tagged:

Comments

• 1 Comment sorted by Votes Date Added
  • This is really interesting! Thank you for sharing. I also found, that it is crucial to make and have connections in the field that you want to work in. Because people would rather hire someone that "helped" them out before rather than a complete stranger. I am in the design field and after I graduated, it was difficult to find a proper job. I interned for a year, did a lot of volunteer work, connected with people, knew every software out there, but in the end it boiled down to actually knowing an individual in the firm I wanted to work at. At the same time I realized that as students we have a better chance in entering a large corporation rather than a small business, even if you start with a very basic position, there is room to grow. My approach became picking a boss rather than a company.

JK